Who are we?
Restaurant with tradition
Our restaurant is the oldest in Šentrupert and is located in the immediate vicinity of the parish church of St. Rupert, or in the very centre of Šentrupert. It has been successfully run by the fourth generation, as we have managed to preserve the homemade food of our ancestors. Our tavern offers you to enjoy pleasant home-cooked food accompanied by good homemade wine.
Great company, happy company!
The restaurant can accommodate 80 people, the indoor part of the house can accommodate 90 people, and the outdoor covered part can accommodate 140 people. Inside, there is a stove where you can roast a calf, a lamb or home-made chickens outside. The outside area is very suitable for picnics, cold-hot buffets and we also organise wine tastings in the cellar. The cottage also offers accommodation for up to ten people.
Our tavern with a 100-year tradition is located in the centre of Šentrupert in Dolenjska. The restaurant is famous for its homemade dishes: vampi, mushroom soup with homemade noodles, porcini mushroom soup, cheese strudels, pork or veal roast, roasted or fried homemade chicken, other dishes made to order.
Alojz and Marija Jaklič bought the premises for the inn after 1900, when they sold their farm in Karlovice near Veliky Lasce and moved to Šentrupert. The inn itself did not bring the family enough income, so Alojz started slaughtering cattle. As they did not have electricity yet, he built an ice house on the northern, shady plot under the “farovž” to store the meat. The ice, which was preserved in the icehouse all summer, was broken in the winter in the streams and transported to the icehouse by wagon. This work was extremely difficult and dangerous. In addition to working in the butcher’s shop and the inn, the family worked hard on the farm.
Alojz died in 1933, but the work was successfully continued by his wife and children. Son Alojz, who trained as a butcher and caterer and married Rozalia in 1935, continued the family tradition. He was an innkeeper and butcher. During the inter-war period, it was forbidden to slaughter livestock at home, so he had a lot of work as a butcher. He bought livestock in his home town and as far away as Karlovac. He was assisted in his work by several apprentices who wanted to learn to become butchers. As the parish of Šentrupert was very large, the inn was frequented mainly by locals who came for the good local food and drink. They were served homemade brandy, which the servants brewed from fruit. The wealthier guests drank beer and wine, while the poorer guests drank cider, which they often could not pay for in advance but, as they said at the time, had to pay for on the house. They paid later, usually at the end of the month. The Jakličs also threw parties, especially for Carnival and New Year. During the Second World War, the inn was bombed and had to be adapted after the war. The new premises were converted into foreign rooms, which were often used by teachers who got jobs in Šentrupert. They kept the butcher’s shop until 1950, when they had to rent it out to an agricultural cooperative until it acquired its own premises. After the war, there were several taverns in the town, but after 1964 only the Jaklič tavern remained. Because of the large number of guests, they had to employ extra labour.
In 1968, his son Peter married Hedvika, a trained waitress who was a welcome help, but later Peter’s parents left the business to her. The Jakličs were also aware of the need to supplement their offer, so they expanded and renovated the restaurant to accommodate larger parties. They prepared food and drinks for many weddings, funerals, parties and events. Groups, especially day-trippers, are regular visitors to Jaklič’s cottage in Kovače hill, where they have their own vineyard.