The parish church of St Rupert ranks among the top of Slovenian Gothic architectural art, both for its location in the middle of the market town and for its aesthetic completeness and grandeur. Today’s three-nave hall church is the successor of the churches that stood before it. In its predecessor, which was the seat of one of the largest parishes in Slovenia at that time, the Patriarch of Oglele, Ulrik II of Trebanj, convened a Chapter Council in 1163. The origins of today’s church can be traced back to 1393, when the Counts of Celje took over the patronage of the parish, but its construction probably dates back no further than 1450, when Ivan Harrer took over the parish. During the last restoration of the church, traces of medieval frescoes were also discovered in the nave when the arches were probed.